Practice Areas: Tax
There are many important federal tax developments that have occurred in recent years that affect our country’s various citizens. The attorneys at HBS are well equipped to help you with your tax questions and concerns.
About Our Practice
The attorneys at Hall Booth Smith, P.C. can help you minimize your tax liabilities and avoid costly problems later on. We can review your potential tax savings in various areas, including income tax, sales tax, and fuel taxes.
Effective tax planning can involve the application of dozens of techniques in concert with the goal of structuring one's affairs in order to avoid the imposition of taxes. Comprehensive tax planning is not limited to one particular type of tax; it includes addressing all taxes that apply to a particular business.
Our attorneys at HBS have consulted with numerous companies and entrepreneurs during every stage of their business venture to ensure they are not only in compliance with current tax laws but that they are also minimizing their tax risk in every market where they do business. Our attorneys are knowledgeable about foreign tax laws and can provide advice for U.S. nationals doing business abroad as well as foreign nationals doing business in the U.S.
Now, more than ever before, tax laws and their implications for growing businesses can have a major impact on your bottom line and your level of risk. Let us minimize your tax liability and your risk of an IRS audit. We have extensive experience advising clients on compliance with state and federal tax laws. We can prepare and review your tax returns for individuals and corporate clients; we can troubleshoot potential red flags the IRS can target. When problems arise, we develop strategies to alleviate tax issues at a minimal cost.
The voice of our law firm is heard through the individual involvement of our attorneys in serving the people:
- Former Property Tax Administrative Law Judge
- Public registered lobbyist
- Instructor of Advanced Studies in Federal Taxes and Management Decisions and Federal Taxation at Keller Graduate School of Management of Devry University, Atlanta, GA
Ways We Serve You
We have extensive experience in transaction advisory services including:
- Deal structuring
- Federal, state and local tax due diligence
- Post-deal integration
- Tax attribute management
- Opinions and ruling requests
- Mergers and acquisitions
Our attorneys have represented clients in every aspect of administrative, civil, and appellate state and federal court tax litigation. Tax Practice areas include:
- Contractors excise
- Real property
- Personal property
- Bank franchises
- Income taxation
- Document recording
- Stamp and realty transfer taxation
- Tax Collection
- Chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 bankruptcy tax structuring and litigation
- Prorate Apportionment
With professional integrity and skill, HBS has successfully represented many clients with taxation issues. Some of our cases have involved:
- Serving as counsel to a publicly traded, multinational energy company in its contemplated acquisition of a regulated regional energy provider.
- Evaluated and proposed alternative tax-efficient transactional structures and organizational structures
- Conducted federal, state and local tax due diligence on the target.
- Counseling a publicly traded, multinational environmental waste disposal concern and its affiliates in formulating the structured disposition of financially troubled business lines, formulating a vehicle to facilitate the company's emergence from a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. Continued post-acquisition implementation of planning solutions to lower the Company's effective tax rate
- Serving as counsel to numerous private equity clients in connection with strategic acquisitions including detailed legal and tax due diligence, transaction structuring, organizational structuring and post-transaction integration of acquisition targets
- Leading a team that performed several Fortune 100 consolidated 382 Studies
- Consolidating stock basis studies and earnings and profits studies for multibillion dollar international public companies