Practice Areas: Property / SIU
According to the Insurance Information Institute, fraud accounts for $30 billion of property and casualty insurance industry losses each year, which impacts every insurance company and every member of the public. Insurance companies, law enforcement, and consumer groups are working together to eliminate insurance fraud. Hall Booth Smith, P.C. is dedicated to that essential cause.
About Our Practice
Insurance fraud is the making of misrepresentation of a material fact as to the cause, extent or nature of a loss to obtain a payment by the insurance provider that would not otherwise be made. Common types of insurance fraud are the intentional destruction of insured property by or on behalf of an insured, fraudulent theft losses, staging accidents, exaggeration of the cause, and extent of injuries.
The attorneys in the HBS Property/Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Practice Group, the most extensive in the Southeast, work with Insurance Claims and SIU departments in the investigation and evaluation of any suspected fraud claim, whether commercial or homeowner arson, burglary or theft, or vehicle and marine fire or theft. From the examination under oath through trial, we are experienced in resisting the fraud claim while protecting the insurer from bad faith and defending the claims decision.
HBS is well positioned to respond rapidly and efficiently throughout the Southeast from our offices in Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina.
Our experience and commitment to serve our clients fully and economically make HBS the right choice to assist you with your first party legal issues. Our Property/SIU Practice Group includes dedicated attorneys who have a history of success in resolving coverage issues.
The voice of our law firm is heard through the individual experience of our attorneys:
- Frequent speakers state-wide and nationally
- Southern Loss Association
- Atlanta Claims Association
- Southeastern Arson Seminar
- Georgia Fire Investigators Association
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- National Fire Protection Association
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- International Association of Special Investigative Units
- Many national insurance carriers
- Members of Southern Loss Association, Atlanta Claims Association, National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators, Georgia Fire Investigators Association, and International Association of Arson Investigators
- Recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine "Rising Star," 2010
- Leadership of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the State Bar of Georgia
Ways We Serve You
Fraudulent insurance claims can be complex and potentially costly. From the investigation, examination under oath, and ultimate evaluation, specialized knowledge and experience are critical to the proper determination, preservation, and presentation of coverage defenses while protecting against waiver and bad faith exposure.
The HBS Property/SIU attorneys protect insurers at every stage of a claim from the initial report of loss to resolution with a history of success. We have represented insurers in hundreds of mediations, arbitrations, and trials in state and federal courts throughout the Southeastern United States, defending and resolving coverage decisions in all areas of coverage including:
- Product Defect
- Life insurance/Suicide/Disappearance
- Bad Faith/Extra-Contractual
- Watercraft/Automobile/Aircraft/Motorcycle/Commercial Vehicle
- Homeowner/Rental/Rental Dwelling
- Employee Dishonesty
- Business Interruption
- Commercial/Large Loss
- Computer Forensics
- Mortgage/Lien Holder
- Health Care
- Personal Articles
- Personal Injury
- Coordinated Criminal/Ring Activity
- Staged Accident
With professional integrity and skill, HBS lawyers have successfully resolved many cases for our clients through mediation, motion practice, administrative bodies, bench and jury trials.
- Successfully handled large loss commercial first party claims involving arson and fraud from claims denial up to and including trial.
- Successfully handled both first and third party claims involving arson and fraud from claims denial up to and including trial.
- Successfully investigated and eliminated organized fraud activity.
- Successfully investigated and concluded medical provider fraud activity claims.