Practice Areas: Immigration
From individuals to multinational corporations, HBS Immigration Attorneys help clients secure employment-based permanent and temporary visas and family-based visas, advise on compliance issues and provide proactive advice to businesses of all sizes on best practices to avoid future liability.
Experienced handling a wide variety of business and family-based immigration concerns, we offer seamless, effective global immigration strategies, prepare and review all types of immigration-related documents, advise on immigration issues in the context of corporate transactional matters, and assist with audits, investigations and hearings. Our lawyers have represented clients before the U.S. Congress and federal regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Department of State and the Department of Labor. Fluent in several languages, including English, German, French and Bengali, we are able to assist many of our clients in their native language.
Our attorneys work closely with businesses to determine the most appropriate visa category and strategy based on both long- and short-term goals. We have advised on immigration status for corporate executives, managers, professionals and other employees in virtually every visa category, including:
• H-1B (professionals in specialty occupation)
• H-2B (temporary or seasonal employees)
• H-3 (trainee)
• L-1 (intracompany transfers)
• E-1, E-2 (treaty traders and investors)
• J-1 (physicians, teachers, scholars, interns, au pairs)
• F-1 (student) including Optional Practical Training (OPT)
• TN (professionals from Canada or Mexico under NAFTA)
• B-1/B-2 (business visitors, tourists)
• P (athletes, artists and entertainers)
• O (individuals with extraordinary ability or achievements)
• Q (cultural exchange visitors).
• Permanent residency (green cards) based on employment, including labor certification(PERM).
• EB-5 Investment Based Green Cards
Our lawyers also assist with due diligence investigations, resolving immigration-related issues in the context of corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and maintaining post-transaction work authorizations of foreign personnel.
Employment Verification, Federal Investigations & Immigration Corporate Compliance
HBS Immigration attorneys help corporate clients ensure that their employment practices comply with all immigration-related requirements including employment verification compliance requirements. We provide I-9 and E-verify counseling, conduct I-9 audits, represent clients in government audits and investigation, and proactively help clients establish and implement corporate immigration policies and procedures to minimize liability exposure.
Family-Based Immigration & Naturalization
Our Immigration Practice Group also assists individuals and families, and handles a wide array of matters such as:
• Spousal Immigrant Petitions
• Immigrant Petitions for Relatives of U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
• Permanent Resident Applications based on Family Relationships
• Adjustment of Status and Immigrant Visa Applications
• Naturalization Applications
• VAWA-Violence Against Women Act Petitions
• K-1/K-3 (Fiancé/Fiancée) Visas
• Conditional Residency Waivers
• Waivers of Inadmissibility
• Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
Keeping Our Clients Current on New Laws & Trends
HBS attorneys stay current on the latest legal developments regarding immigration and related employment laws, enforcement actions, and government policy changes. We keep our clients informed through direct communication, our immigration law blog, seminars and customized training programs that teach companies and their HR staff how to be in compliance with the many immigration rules and regulations impacting their businesses.
Members of our Immigration team are active in the following organizations:
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• German American Chamber of Commerce
• Netherlands-American Chamber of Commerce of the Southeastern United States
• French American Chamber of Commerce.
• Georgia Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
Our lawyers also frequently lecture on immigration and employment-related topics.