Mr. Standard has been practicing law since 1998. In 1991, he graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a bachelor's degree in economics and political science. In 1998, he earned his juris doctorate, magna cum laude, from Georgia State University College of Law, where he served as the associate lead articles editor of the Georgia State Law Review. In 1996, Mr. Standard travelled abroad to study at the Johannes Kepler University School of Law in Austria, where he participated, with high honors, in the study of international commercial arbitration. Mr. Standard holds a masters of business administration, with a finance concentration, from the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University, where he was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma honor society. Mr. Standard also holds a masters of science in finance from the J. Mack Robinson College of Business.
Prior to joining HBS, Mr. Standard was a partner at an Atlanta-based boutique firm. Mr. Standard is the co-author of the 2007 legal treatise-The Admissibility of Expert Testimony in Georgia. He is a frequent author and lecturer with numerous professional organizations, including the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia. Mr. Standard is a member of the State Bar of Georgia and is admitted to practice in all state courts within the State of Georgia, as well as the federal district courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia.
Mr. Standard has a breadth of experience in matters of business and commercial litigation when deals do not work out or when one party to a contract claims another party has failed to perform as agreed. He also has significant experience in litigating matters of director and officer liability in relation to allegations of securities law violations and breach of fiduciary duty. Mr. Standard has litigated in state and federal courts, both within Georgia and throughout the nation. In addition, Mr. Standard is very familiar with mechanisms of alternate dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, which can provide a cost-effective means to the resolution of disputes when they do occur. Recent examples of matters in which Mr. Standard has been involved include:
- Representation of shareholders in lawsuits involving violations of securities laws, breach of fiduciary duty and dissenters’ rights
- Representation of companies in trademark disputes
- Representation of insurance adjusting company with respect to contractual obligations following the sale of business lines
- Representation of a company in the enforcement of a non-compete agreement and other restrictive covenants following its purchase of a business against the former owner of the business
- Representation of companies in disputes arising under the Uniform Commercial Code
- Representation of companies in franchise disputes
- Representation of an engineering firm in a multi-million dollar breach of contract action brought by one of the nation’s largest beer manufacturers and distributors
- Representation of a national broker of building materials in a breach of contract action, alleging the supply of defective and non-conforming materials, brought by one of the nation’s largest builders of homes
Mr. Standard brings his breadth of commercial experience to the table in advising several international companies on business and legal matters in the United States. He has represented and consulted with several foreign companies in relation to obtaining financing and business organization.
Mr. Standard frequently represents clients with respect to a variety of real estate matters. He has represented clients in the acquisition of hotel properties and hospitals. He has handled the negotiation and drafting of numerous commercial leases. He has been involved in all phases of the due diligence process with respect to the acquisition of real estate, including phase I and phase II environmental audits. In addition, Mr. Standard has represented numerous owners and managers of multi-family housing facilities in catastrophic premises liability claims.
Mr. Standard frequently represents businesses on a variety of transactional matters and assists corporations and other business entities at all stages of their growth and in achieving their ultimate business objectives. His experience includes handling matters in business formation, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance. He frequently assists businesses in preparing and negotiating by-laws, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements, stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, employment agreements for key personnel, and restrictive covenants, including non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. Mr. Standard assists businesses in intellectual property matters, including trademarks, copyrights, and licensing agreements. He also assists with matters of commercial real estate. Recent examples of matters in which Mr. Standard has been involved include:
- Structuring the acquisition of a financially-distressed Alabama hospital by a health care management and consulting company.
- Negotiating and structuring the purchase of a tax credit processing and brokerage business.
- Assisting in the acquisition of multiple hotels by a hospitality company.
- Negotiating and structuring joint ventures in the commercial motor carrier inspection and government contracting industries.
- Structuring the purchase and sale of companies in the insurance brokerage and adjusting industries.
- Aiding in the reorganization of a hospital staffing company with operations in several different states.
- Advising several companies with regard to intellectual property matters, including trademark applications and licensing agreements.
- Negotiating, preparing, and advising companies with respect to key personnel employment agreements, exclusive agency agreements, and non-compete agreements.