Practice Areas: Energy, Regulatory & Utilities
Attorneys in HBS's Energy, Regulatory and Utilities Practice Group represent clients in sophisticated transactional, regulatory, finance, tax and litigation matters.
About Our Practice
Our clients include municipal and investor owned utilities, joint action agencies, electric cooperatives, industrial end-users, independent power producers, and natural gas companies. The practice encompasses representation of clients before federal and state regulatory agencies whose actions shape the energy business and other regulated clients including the following:
- Georgia Public Service Commission
- State and Federal Courts including Appeals
- Georgia General Assembly and Congress
- Georgia State Ethics Commission
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- Georgia Environmental Protection Division
- Georgia Department of Revenue
- One Georgia Authority
- Department of Energy
- Federal Communications Commission
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
HBS attorneys have been long known for our successes before administrative and regulatory agencies. We also regularly undertake those actions in both federal and state jurisdictions that determine the success of our clients. We are often hired as special counsel on appeals of adverse agency or court decisions. In all instances, we seek to ensure that our clients’ interests are made known to federal and state policymakers and that our collective actions further all the goals of our clients' businesses.
One of our attorneys is the national coordinating counsel for a major insurance company on all of its catastrophic electric line contact cases. He has advised electric cooperatives and their insurers in cases from all over the United States, including cases from Washington, Arizona, Kentucky, Colorado, New Hampshire, Michigan, Tennessee, and Georgia, to name a few.